We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Growing an orchid at home requires some knowledge. The flower is exotic and needs proper care. It is necessary to monitor not only the temperature regime, feeding, but also, most importantly, watering.
How can you water an orchid so as not to harm it, what are the results of an incorrect procedure and how to correct the consequences - read on.
How can a plant be moistened and what not?
Only soft water is always used to water the orchid. Distilled water cannot be used for irrigation; it can only be used to rinse leaves or roots. The water temperature should be in the range of 30-40 degrees, and the acidity should be 5.5 pH.
You can check the acidity using a litmus test. To increase the acidity level, drop a few drops of lemon juice into the water.
What to add to make it blue?
Read on to find out how to water the plant so that it blooms in blue. If you really want a blue orchid, then you can use food coloring or special paint for flowers. The paint or dye dissolves in the water used to water the plant. The more dye is added, the richer the color will be.
It must be remembered that a large amount of paint can destroy the plant.
What kind of water should you use?
Since in the natural environment the orchid is washed by rains, at home it is advisable to use water similar in composition to rainwater (moistening an orchid in a pot at home is described in detail here). The water should not be hard, at room temperature.
Tap water must be softened. Oxalic acid can be used for this. The solution is made about 24 hours before watering. For example, for 5 liters of water, 1/8 tsp of acid is needed.
To remove all impurities and metals from the water, it can be boiled or defended. But settling does not always give a positive effect, since it takes a long time to remove impurities.
It is recommended to enrich the water with oxygen by pouring it from one container to another.
Can I irrigate and what are the consequences of watering?
Hydrogen peroxide has strong reducing and reducing properties, so it can be used to water an orchid. The main advantage of hydrogen peroxide is disinfection. The substance is capable of destroying microbes, mites and small insects.
In addition to the antiseptic effect, peroxide has other equally important qualities:
- Influences the growth and flowering of the plant.
- Helps to strengthen the root system.
- Prevents decay.
- It is used as a means of combating fungal diseases of plants.
How to prepare a watering solution? It is necessary to take 20 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide and dilute with a liter of water. Water the orchid no more than 3 times a week.
For watering, only a freshly prepared solution is used, otherwise it will lose all the necessary properties.
A solution of potassium manganese disinfects the soil and stimulates the growth of the flower. But in order not to harm the plant and not burn the root system, you need to approach the creation of a solution competently.
A solution of potassium permanganate allows you to eliminate various infectious lesions of the flower. but with frequent watering, the soil can quickly turn acidic or the flower will die. The color of the watering solution has a pale pink tint.
As a preventive measure, the orchid is watered with a solution of potassium manganese about once every six months. But if the plant is sick, then 1-2 times a week, in which case the concentration of the drug depends on the degree of damage to the flower.
Potassium permanganate can be mixed with ash, laundry soap or tobacco solution. This helps to get rid of some pests and rot.
- For prevention apply a weak solution. To do this, a couple of crystals of potassium permanganate are dissolved in 0.5 liters of warm water. Then the leaves are sprayed with the mixture and poured under the flower stems.
- To clean up the root system a weak solution of potassium permanganate is also used. Then the damaged part of the flower is soaked in it for 20 minutes.
- For disinfection of the earth take half a teaspoon of potassium permanganate per 1 liter of water. Water the soil with this solution no more than once a week.
Feeding the orchid with yeast prolongs flowering. But yeast absorbs a lot of potassium, so it is necessary to use other fertilizers that compensate for the lack of potassium. The solution is prepared as follows:
- Add 1 g of dry yeast to a liter of warm water and mix thoroughly.
- After the yeast is completely dissolved, add another 5 liters of water.
The orchid is watered with the resulting mother solution under the root so that through the drainage holes the solution flows into the pan. The procedure is recommended to be carried out 3-4 times a year and only at the time of orchid flowering.
Cytokinin paste helps to stimulate cell division. For an orchid, it is used if it is necessary to achieve flowering or propagate a plant. What effect does this paste have on the flower?
- Awakens dormant kidneys.
- Slows down the aging process.
- Promotes growth.
- Accelerates flowering.
You cannot use the paste together with other additives.
It is useless to use it to save a dying flower, the task of the cytokinin paste is to help a healthy plant bloom.
The ammonia solution is used as a nitrogen source for plants. It is able to activate the growth of flower stems and leaves. To prepare a watering agent, take:
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of ammonia per 1.6 liters of water - for feeding the root system.;
- 10 ml per 1 liter of water - for spraying leaves.
The first time it is necessary to water the orchid with the resulting mixture immediately after planting, when the root system has completely taken root. Then, during the period when the plant does not bloom. Watering is done every 15-20 days.
The ammonia solution helps fight insect attacks and protects the flower from various diseases.
Phytolavin is used to combat decay. For the prevention and treatment of orchids, a solution is prepared - 1 liter of water is taken for 2 ml of the drug. After preparation, processing is carried out, it can be carried out in several ways:
- With the help of a spray bottle, leaves, stems, and the open part of the root system are sprayed. Then the flower must be left and wait until the remnants of the solution drain, then excess moisture is removed from the axils of the leaves. However, if a plant is sprayed during the flowering period, it must be sprayed carefully so that the solution does not get on the flowers (you can find out about watering the plant during flowering here).
- Watering. The plant is watered at the root so that the mixture flows into the pan, then all the liquid is drained from it.
Fitolavin belongs to the 3rd hazard class, when working with it, personal protective equipment is necessarily used.
What are the results of the wrong procedure?
Unfortunately, improper watering can lead to the death of the plant. But watering is the most important part in caring not only for an orchid, but also for other plants.
The most common watering mistakes are:
- Abundant watering, which will provoke root rot. To avoid this, a polystyrene drainage is installed.
- Water should not get into the leaf axils. If moisture gets on the leaves, remove it immediately with a dry cloth.
- The orchid should be sprayed at a distance of 20 cm.
- The water for irrigation should be warm and not dirty so that the leaves do not turn yellow and the root system does not suffer.
- Plants are watered only in the morning. You can not spray the flower if it has been standing in the sun for a long time, otherwise the leaves will be burnt.
How to fix the consequences?
The orchid is a fairly strong flower. Therefore, if you react in time, you can correct the consequences of improper watering.
- First, the flower is carefully removed from the pot and the roots are cleaned from the ground. Rotten and dead areas of the root system must be removed and the plant must be rinsed again.
- All root cuts must be sprinkled with ground cinnamon or crushed coal, treated with antifungal agents.
- Then the plant is dried, it is advisable to leave the flower in the shade.
- After the orchid has dried, it is transplanted into a new pot with fresh soil (read about watering orchids after transplanting here).
If the plant was flooded and the leaves turned yellow, then they are removed and the flower is transplanted in the same way.
Read about how you can and cannot moisten orchids, what are the methods of watering and the main mistakes when irrigating, read here.
By following simple rules for watering and caring for an orchid, you can get a healthy and flowering plant. Orchid is an unpretentious flower and care will not take much time. But it will delight the eye for a long time if you follow all the recommendations.