Many indoor plants always require careful maintenance and timely feeding. These include the beautiful azalea, which attracts with its abundant flowering at different times of the year.
The problem is that not everyone knows how to properly feed flowers and, most importantly, with what?
In this article, you will learn when to fertilize, what to use for this. And also the recommendations of experienced gardeners.
The importance of feeding for rhododendron
An obligatory part of azalea care is feeding. So fertilizers replenish the nutrients that the plant takes from the soil. They are also essential for normal growth, flowering and plant health. Preparations given at certain periods make it possible to delight the owners for a long time.
What to choose?
Better to use chlorine-free substances... The advantage of this type is that:
- it is convenient and economical;
- activates the profusion of flowering;
- bright, rich color;
- ensures the growth and full development of both the roots and the stem.
- brings vigor to the plant, especially in winter;
- increases resistance to disease and the formation of fungal diseases.
Mandatory substances that must be in this type of fertilizer:
- magnesium (mesoelement);
- additional stimulants (for example, succinic acid);
- microelements (chelated);
- vitamins PP, B1, C.
Lack of phosphorus causes leaf fall, thinning of the root system. The lack of magnesium is manifested in the appearance of white spots on the plant. If you notice these symptoms, you need to urgently take action.
- environmentally friendly;
- the action is very mild, which is very important for delicate azaleas;
- the content of products of plant and animal origin, ensuring the health of both the root and crown of the plant.
- soil improvement (creating a favorable microclimate and nutrient balance);
- stabilizes water in the ground;
- lead to the development of vital symbiont fungi;
- the ability to accumulate in the soil.
The composition of this type of fertilizer for rhododendrons is animal products.:
- bird droppings;
- peat and others.
This type of fertilizer is better for azaleas. They are slow in terms of duration, but very soft in action. Eco-friendly components, decomposing in the soil, completely deliver the necessary trace elements.
Schedule for different seasons
Each period includes its own characteristics for fertilization... It is worth paying special attention to it for the effectiveness of azalea care.
It is during this period that it is worth intensively feeding the plant to accelerate the growth of new buds and inflorescences.
Since azalea can get sick in winter, restoring the balance of nutrients is the basis for successful flowering. For this, fertilizers are suitable with a high content of phosphorus and potassium.
Observe safety precautions when using fertilizers... Work with gloves, long-sleeved clothing and avoid eye contact when working with the spray gun.
We offer you to watch a video on how to feed the azalea in spring:
Summer and Autumn
During these periods, as in spring, the azalea is fed every two weeks. This is due to active recovery after the cold season.
Preferred fertilizers: nitrogenous.
In summer, it is better to alternate organic and mineral fertilizers.... It should be noted that it is preferable to spray azalea with fertilizers diluted in water about 10 times. So all the necessary substances are absorbed much better.
If the weather is warm, then spraying is best done either early in the morning or late in the evening.
The intake of nutrients is reduced to 1 time per month. Mineral fertilizer will do.
If after the winter the leaves have withered, dried up, then they must be reanimated immediately! Since, most likely, the plant is sick.
Fertilizers are suitable:
- Emerald- helps in building up green mass.
- Fitosporin-M - prevents rotting and cures diseases.
- Ferovit - often used with an excess of iron in the plant and during unfavorable periods.
To avoid this:
- carry out timely loosening;
- once every 10-14 days, water with citric acid (but do not allow the soil to be too acidic), malic / acetic acids are also suitable;
- carefully study the composition of all fertilizers;
- maintain a moisture rate and do not create a swamp in the pot.
How to fertilize at home?
For splendor and bright inflorescences, each grower should know the nuances of introducing nutrients into the azalea soil.
In the period June and mid-July, to prepare the plant for flowering, it is necessary to apply fertilizers containing nitrogen to the soil. Further, budding occurs: during this period, the plant is in great need of superphosphate components. They are introduced with the calculation of 15 g per 10 liters of water, do not exceed a concentration of 0.15%.
You can use the universal "Uniflor-Bud", complex components are directed precisely for this period.
Only fertilizers, which include phosphorus and potassium, can accelerate the flowering process. Spraying of plants is prohibited during this period.
For the plant to bloom
Stimulation of active flowering is necessary not only for beauty, but also for the proper development of the plant, active root formation. Means suitable for this period:
- Zircon - very adaptable to azalea and promotes root growth. Application: before use, the ampoule must be held in the hands or warmed up in the sun (since all components are activated only after the supply of heat); for convenience and accurate application, fertilizer can be applied through a syringe (2-3 drops are enough).
We use this drug without overdose. For efficiency, you can use a spray bottle.
- Epin is an anti-stress for azaleas. Spraying is carried out no more than once every 14 days. But its effectiveness is much less than the first drug. Restriction: cannot be used during the flowering period and is destroyed in the light.
- To accelerate the growth of azalea and remove it from stress, you can use HB-101. It only takes 1-2 drops for watering or spraying.
- You can also use "Eco-gel-antistress" or iron chelate.
Step-by-step instructions: what and how to feed rhododendron?
There are popular drugs that do their best.
Pokon is a versatile fertilizer that is well absorbed in the soil and helps the plant to be healthy and maintain all its external and internal parameters.
The composition is very rich in nutrients such as:
- phosphoric acid;
Application: dilute 10 ml of fertilizer in 1 liter of water. In the cold season, reduce the dose by 2 times. Can be used at any time.
It is a growth stimulant for rhododendron, consisting of a complex of nutrients. The composition includes:
- vitamins (B1, PP, C);
- succinic acid.
Instructions for the use of Bona forte: for root feeding - 10 ml per 1.5 l of water; for spraying: 5 ml per 1.5 l of water.
Mineral dressings should be used under general instructions.:
- Dilute in the desired ratio (indicated above).
- Pour at the root.
For those who are interested in whether it is possible to fertilize rhododendrons with manure, we will tell you that this dressing is usually used 2-3 weeks after flowering. For efficiency, you should take into account some features and follow the recommendations.
Organic fertilizer should be:
- to maintain acidity - only cow (not recommended bird, horse and others).
- We dilute the fertilizer in warm water (ratio 1:10).
- We leave to ferment for 5 days.
- Dilute with water until light brown.
- Water (always at the root).
We recommend adding potassium sulfate (about 20-25 g) to 10 liters of water.
It is a growth stimulant, an auxiliary substance in the development of azaleas. It is used as an additive to the main fertilizer.
Application: if the substance is in tablets, then it should be ground to powder:
- Put the powder (in the amount of 1 g) in a convenient container and fill it with a small amount of water (preferably warm for better dissolution).
- Stir and top up to 1 liter.
- Water the plant at the root.
You can store the prepared drug for no more than 3 days. You can apply it pointwise on the leaves if necessary. The procedure can be repeated every 2-3 weeks.
When buying for the amount of the active substance itself, since in many cases the powder contains more additional substances.
To avoid the death of the azalea, the following guidelines must be followed, which indicate what not to do:
- Overfeed the plant with fertilizer (if it is inorganic), as this will damage the roots of the plant. If transplanted into a new soil treated with zircon, it does not always help and saves.
- The composition of the wrong acidity in which the azalea lives can also destroy the plant. Therefore, read the labels carefully or consult a specialist.
- Spray during flowering.
- Avoid granular fertilizers.
- Do not feed in hot weather to avoid root death.
For prevention, we recommend: timely add acidifying trace elements, add nutrients in liquid form, do not buy preparations containing chlorine, and moisten the soil.
Thus, if you follow all the basic recommendations for caring for a beautiful azalea plant, you can easily grow it at home and admire it even in winter. But before that, it is worth taking the time to thoroughly prepare before the cold. The correct selection of fertilizer and its precise application will enrich the plant and provide it with all the necessary nutrients for a long life.