We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Parsley is a common greenery found in almost every garden and vegetable garden. It is easy to grow it if you know some of the subtleties associated with the processing of seed. Parsley seeds are known to sprout very slowly. Using dry seeds, seedlings can only be seen after two to four weeks. To speed up this process, as well as improve the quality of the crop, it is necessary to prepare the material for sowing by soaking. Let's consider in the article whether it is necessary and why it is so important to soak the seeds of a plant before sowing in open ground or in greenhouses in order to get quick shoots, and how to do it correctly.
What is pre-sowing soak and what is its purpose?
Soaking is the stage of preparing seeds before sowing, in which they are immersed for a while in various solutions: hot water, milk, potassium permanganate solution, peroxide and others.
The main purposes of soaking are:
- Prevention and prevention of diseases that can destroy the plant.
- Checking the quality, shelf life and germination of planting material.
- Acceleration of seed germination and faster emergence of the first shoots.
Should I do this?
Can plant seeds be soaked before sowing? Parsley can be sown with dry seeds or after soaking. However, parsley is a debt-like crop, and if you need to get friendly, strong shoots that actively appear after soaking, then yes, you need to soak.
Influence of soaking on planting material
The parsley seed has a dense shell covered with essential oils, which slows down their germination. Soaking helps break down the oily coating and softens the seed coat. With its help, the seeds are well saturated with moisture necessary for germination.
Step-by-step instructions: what and how to keep the grains so that the plant sprouts faster?
We will analyze how and in what it is best to soak the seeds of a plant before planting to obtain rapid germination.
- Place the seeds in a container with a small amount of fresh, warm 37 ° C milk, so that they are lightly covered.
- Leave to swell, then sow.
For detailed step-by-step instructions on soaking parsley seeds in milk, read here.
In alcohol-containing solutions
- Wrap the seeds in cheesecloth.
- Keep in vodka for 15-20 minutes.
- Then rinse well under running water and dry.
The seed is ready.
Important! Essential oils dissolve well in alcohol-containing solutions, but the set time must not be exceeded, as the seeds can be spoiled. The advantage of this method is that it also helps to disinfect seedlings.
We suggest you watch a video about soaking parsley seeds in vodka:
Spread the seeds on a layer of gauze, cover them with a second layer.
- Place in a saucer and cover with hot water, but not boiling water, so that the liquid slightly covers the cheesecloth with seeds.
- Leave for 12 hours, changing the cooled water 3-4 times.
- Then remove the swollen seeds and sow. Or keep in damp gauze and sow already germinated.
There is an option using melt water: it can be collected and melted clean snow, or water frozen in a freezer, then melted and warmed up to room temperature.
- This water is poured over the seeds laid out on the fabric at the bottom of the plate.
- The optimum air temperature is + 20- + 25 ° С. The containers are placed in a dark place for 48 hours.
- The water is changed 3-4 times a day.
In a solution of potassium permanganate
Soaking in a solution of potassium permanganate is necessary to disinfect seeds.
- To do this, dissolve 1 g. manganese in 100 ml of warm water. The solution will be dark, almost black in color.
- Place the seeds wrapped in gauze in a container with a solution for 15-20 minutes.
- Over time, they should be well washed in running water and dried, or wrapped in a damp cloth for further germination.
In hydrogen peroxide
- Make a solution of 1 tablespoon of 3% peroxide and 0.5 l. water.
- Wrap the seeds in a layer of gauze and lower them in a saucer with a solution.
- Keep at room temperature for 12 hours, changing the solution to a fresh one every 3-4 hours so that oxygen flows to the seeds and they do not "suffocate".
- After soaking, rinse them in running water and dry.
In a growth promoter
There are various growth stimulants to increase seedling resistance to adverse factors. The use of growth stimulants helps to increase the germination rate of crops. After the soaking procedure in growth stimulants, the seeds are dried without rinsing, sown.
- Soaking in Epin's solution: dilute 4-6 drops of Epin's product in 100ml of boiled water at a temperature of 22-23 ° C. Dip the seeds in a gauze bag into the prepared solution for 18-24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Soaking in a solution of potassium humate: dilute 0.5 gram in 1 liter of warm water. Place the seeds, wrapped in cloth, in a glass for a day, stir the liquid periodically.
- Concentrated vermicompost solution diluted with water in a ratio of 1:20, parsley seeds in this solution are kept for no more than 24 hours.
In addition to purchased growth stimulants, homemade nutritional mixes made from natural ingredients are very popular.
For example: an infusion of wood ash is an excellent source of minerals.
- The infusion is prepared from 2 tbsp. l. ash and 1 liter. water.
- Everything is mixed and infused for a couple of days.
- The seeds are kept in the infusion for 3 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
Mushroom infusion - contains all trace elements necessary for a plant:
- It is made from dried mushrooms, which are poured over with a little water.
- After cooling, the tissue bag with seeds is immersed in the infusion for 6 hours.
Are there other ways to improve germination?
In addition to soaking, there are other ways to prepare seeds:
- Calibration and sorting of seeds to remove non-germinating seeds.
- Pour dry seeds into a tissue bag, bury them in unheated ground to a depth of 30-35 cm, for two weeks. Remove the bag from the ground before sowing, dry the seeds on paper and sow.
- Hold the seeds in hot water, in a thermos for 30 minutes to two hours, then dry.
- Heat the seeds on a central heating battery, wrapping them in a cloth beforehand. - Rinse seeds wrapped in a cloth bag in hot water 3-4 times.
- Bubbling - mixing seeds in oxygen-saturated water for 18-24 hours. After the bubbling procedure, the seeds are dried.
There are many methods of seed preparation, but soaking is the most effective way to increase the germination of parsley and improve the quality of the crop. It will take some effort, but it will be worth it to enjoy this vitamin condiment.