We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Detroit beets came to Russian farmers not so long ago in 1997, and are not as popular as other, more traditional varieties.
But every year Detroit is gaining popularity. An increasing number of gardeners try it and then they never part with it.
The variety belongs to the mid-season ripening species. We can safely say about Detroit that it is not only tasty, but of course healthy.
In the article, we will consider the characteristics, description and differences from other varieties, as well as find out where and how it is applied.
Characteristics and description of the variety
Seedlings appear 7-14 days after planting. The time from germination to full fruit is, on average, 95 days. The fruit is very even, round, sometimes oval in shape. The pulp is dark red, without ringiness. The mass of one root crop is 100-200 grams. Productivity - 35-60 tons per hectare.
In the photo you will see a beet of the considered variety:
The variety came to us from Italy. For its external and useful qualities, it was recommended in the Russian Federation both for personal cultivation and for commercial implementation.
Difference from other species
The main feature of the variety, in the purpose of planting in open ground. Seeds can be planted for seedlings, but practice has shown that seedlings do not take root well and lag behind in growth from their soil counterparts.
Due to frost resistance, seeds can be safely planted directly into the ground, without consequences for rooting and yield... And also the variety is distinguished by the growth of the fruit completely in the ground, without protruding to the surface.
Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of the table variety:
- frost resistance;
- good germination rate - 99.9%;
- not wiry;
- not whimsical in cultivation;
- not subject to shooting;
- has a powerful root apparatus that protects fruits during drought.
- small fruit size;
- requires intensive watering.
Where and how is it applied?
Unlike regular beets, this variety used not only in the preparation of various dishes, but also for the preparation of medicinal decoctions, in cosmetology, for the manufacture of face masks. Suitable for consumption raw and as an auxiliary ingredient in canning and pickling.
Buy seeds. The seeds are sold in many stores, both specialized and regular supermarkets. The variety is very popular among producers, therefore the assortment is widely represented not only by Russian, but also by foreign manufacturers. Packing can be standard - 3-5 grams per bag, costing up to 50 rubles per item, as well as wholesale - 100-200 grams, costing up to 300 rubles per bag.
- Landing time. At the end of April, when the weather is warm, you can already plant these beets in the ground. When choosing a seedling method, you need to start planting a month before the estimated start of the season.
- Choosing a landing site. Like all representatives of this type of vegetable, Detroit loves a well-lit place. Therefore, in advance, you need to choose a place that will not be shaded by trees later. Due attention should also be paid to the moisture content of the place, since this beet is also water-loving.
- Soil selection. Medium loamy chernozems and peat bogs are best suited for a vegetable, always with a neutral or slightly alkaline soil reaction. And beets also grow well when they are planted in the place of onions, tomatoes, potatoes. Carrots and cabbage are considered bad predecessors for it.
- You should start with the preparation of the garden. If there are heavy types of soils on the site, then it is better to make bulk beds. This rule applies to all types of planting, including for the winter method. High acidity is neutralized with wood ash. The optimum bed height is 20–25 cm.
- Next, you should prepare the planting material. A few days before the planned planting date, the seeds should be soaked in any convenient way.
- Beets are planted according to the 25x10 scheme. The row spacing is made 25 cm apart, the seeds are placed at a distance of 8-10 cm from each other. Sowing depth - 2-4 cm.
- After the seeds are covered with earth, the garden bed is mulched.
- Temperature conditions. The most favorable temperature for growing this variety is 15–20 degrees Celsius. The disembarkation is done at 4-5 degrees, Detroit will survive even with short frosts. In drought, thanks to a strong root system, the culture will also survive. But you will need to do daily watering.
- Watering. The variety is hygrophilous. For good germination, abundant daily watering is required. During the growing season, they switch to the regime - once a week, at the rate of 15 liters per 1 sq. m. On dry days, watered daily, preventing the appearance of a crust on the ground.
- Top dressing. For best results, beets are fed with potassium once every 2 weeks. For 1 sq. make 16–20 grams of potash fertilizers. After each thinning, the seedlings are fed with nitrogen. With high acidity of the soil, do not forget to sprinkle the beds with ash. And also for good sugar content of the fruit, salt is added to the water for irrigation.
- Additional measures. The seeds of this variety are a combination of 3-5 seeds, which are formed as a result of intergrowth of flowers. Therefore, even if the required distance is observed when sowing, seedlings will still appear in nests - and, therefore, it is necessary to thin out.
- The first time this is done after the appearance of two leaves or when the shoots reach 2-3 cm. The optimal distance is 3-4 cm.
- The second thinning is carried out after the appearance of 4 or more leaves, when the culture begins to actively increase the mass of fruits. The distance is left at least 6 cm, optimally 8-10 cm.
It is imperative to do thorough weeding and loosening of the soil after each watering.
Despite the love of this variety for moisture, watering should be stopped three weeks before the expected harvest date... Cleaning should be done only in dry weather, in no case subjecting the vegetable to washing. It is enough to shake off excess soil, cut off the tops and put them in storage after a few hours. Long-term exposure to air is not applicable to this variety.
Traditionally, beets are stored in a cellar or on an insulated balcony, in boxes or open sandbags. The optimum temperature is 0-2 degrees Celsius. Humidity is high. To achieve the desired mode, you can moisten the sand or put a bucket of water next to it.
Diseases and pests
During fruiting, beets are very vulnerable to many diseases, and although Detroit is immune to many diseases, he can be amazed:
- white and gray rot;
- downy mildew;
- winter scoop.
Timely care, which includes the mandatory removal of weeds, timely thinning, fertilization and adherence to the irrigation regime, will not only avoid diseases and pests, but also get an excellent result when harvesting.
Detroit is an excellent variety for growing both in private gardens and for sale. Attractive appearance and excellent taste will delight any housewife and all household members. The high content of trace elements and antioxidants will strengthen the immune system and help in the treatment of various diseases.