We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Tomatoes came to us from warm countries. In hot conditions, they do not need careful maintenance. But in the northern regions they are grown very scrupulously.
Healthy, robust tomato seedlings bode well for a good harvest. If the soil mixture in containers with tomato seedlings or the soil in the greenhouse is skillfully prepared, additional feeding is not required. But if the soil is poor in nutrients, the seedlings should be fed.
Top dressing has a positive effect on the plant. Seedlings will grow better, less susceptible to various diseases and pests.
Why do you need to feed tomatoes?
Good seedlings require fertile land... But when choosing a soil, gardeners are often guided by its other qualities: air permeability, moisture permeability, good composition mechanics. They are more often concerned with the absence of pathogenic flora in the soil than with a long-term supply of useful elements.
Seedlings will grow without fertilizers for tomatoes, for the first time they have enough substances inside the seeds. But rapidly developing plants require more and more nutrition as they grow.
When seedlings are kept in limited quantities, starvation is inevitable. Fasting is eliminated only by top dressing.
When should you do this the first time?
When the seedlings have leaves, you need to carry out the first planned feeding of tomatoes.... There are guidelines that advise feeding no earlier than two weeks after the pick has been carried out. In truth, this is determined by the number of dressings, which also depend on the quality of the substrate that we use.
You can find out more about when and how to feed tomato seedlings here, in more detail about how to fertilize tomatoes before and after picking, you can read in this material.
What and how to feed after germination?
At the first feeding of the grown tomato seedlings, they use both ready-made fertilizers (Nitrofoska, Agricola-Forvart, Agricola No. 3), and prepare them independently:
- Urea - 1 g.
- Superphosphate - 8 g.
- Potassium sulfate - 4 g.
- Water - 2 liters.
- Ammonium nitrate - 0.6 g.
- Superphosphate - 4 g.
- Potassium sulfate - 1.5 g.
- Water - 1 liter.
For those who do not use chemical fertilizers, an ash hood can be recommended., yeast solution, infusion of egg shells or banana peels. They are easy to prepare at home.
We offer you to watch a video about feeding tomatoes:
You can find out more about 5 types of dressings for tomato seedlings in this material, and in more detail about how to feed tomato seedlings so that they have plump and stable stems, you can read here.
- Wood ash - 1 tablespoon.
- Hot water - 2 liters.
It is prepared for one day, drained from the sediment and filtered.
After the solution has been infused and strained, it is diluted with 5 liters of water and watered a little under each bush.
We offer you to watch a video about the ash feeding of tomato seedlings:
More details about the use of ash for feeding tomato seedlings at home can be found here.
- Bread yeast - 5 g.
- Water - 5 liters.
Stirring and infusion is carried out for a period of one day. After that, the seedlings are fed. Fertilizer is not stored, which means that it must be used immediately after preparation. Prepare the solution only if you intend to use it right away.
You can read in more detail about a simple and effective feeding for tomatoes from yeast in this material.
Egg shell infusion
- Eggshell - two-thirds of a bucket.
- Water - 1 bucket.
Infused for 3 to 4 days in a closed container.
Before use, it is drained and diluted with water 3 times. It is necessary to water half a glass per one bush of seedlings.
We offer you to watch a video about feeding tomatoes with eggshells:
Banana skins infusion
- Dry banana peel - two-thirds of a bucket.
- Water - 1 bucket.
The mixture is infused in warm conditions for at least 3 days, but more is better. Before feeding, it is drained and diluted with water 3 times.
The huge amount of useful minerals contained in banana will have a beneficial effect on tomato seedlings.
You can learn more about how to grow a good crop using fertilization with banana peels and other methods in this material.
How and how to fertilize tomatoes after planting in open ground?
Tomatoes have significant nutritional requirements and fertilizing them is a good aid to their development. In late autumn, when the planting plot is plowed, 5 kg of humus or garden compost are added per square meter, and in the spring the site is filled with minerals: double superphosphate and potassium chloride. Suitable for covering wood ash (2-2.5 cups per square meter) in autumn and spring.
During the vegetative period of development of tomatoes for better growth and in order to increase yields, 4 root dressings of plantings are carried out. Most of the fertilizer dose for tomatoes is applied to the soil when the plant's root system assimilates nutrients. At each stage of tomato development, they require certain chemicals.
The ingredients of top dressing depend on things like soil fertility, climatic conditions, and the amount of fruit hanging on the plants. The dosage of potassium in nutritional formulations in a cool and cloudy summer period should be increased (by a quarter more than the recommended), and, on the contrary, reduced in a dry hot summer time.
Root remedies for vegetables planted outdoors
- First feeding... The first root feeding of tomatoes planted in open ground is carried out 20-22 days after planting seedlings in the beds. The recommended composition of the solution (application of organic matter and mineral fertilizers): liquid mullein (half a liter) and 15 ml. nitrophosphate is diluted in a bucket of water. Spend half a liter for each bush. You can read more about the benefits of mineral fertilizers for seedlings and adult tomatoes here.
- Second feeding... The feeding time is about twenty days after the first (while the best moment for the second feeding is the budding of the second brush of color). Ingredients: chicken droppings (0.4 kg), superphosphate (1 tablespoon), potassium sulfate (1 teaspoon) in a standard bucket of water. Consume 1 liter. under each plant.
- Third feeding... The feeding time is 1-2 weeks after the second (when the third cluster of tomatoes begins to bloom). Composition for irrigation (fertilizing with mineral fertilizers): nitrophoska (15 ml.) And potassium humate (15 ml.) In a bucket of water. Consume 5 liters. for every square meter of the garden.
- Fourth feeding... The feeding time is 11-14 days after the third. At this stage, only a superphosphate solution is needed: 1 tablespoon per 10 liters. clean water. A bucket is used for every square meter.
Humidification of tomato tops and fine spraying of the nutrient composition on the leaves give good results, thanks to which the plant grows better, develops leaf apparatus and young shoots, and this also helps to prevent shedding of color. The main advantage of this type of fertilizer is that the nutrients that are on the surface of the leaf apparatus are absorbed by plants much faster. Spraying is carried out 1-4 times during the growing season.
- The first version of the composition: 15 g of urea and 1 g of potassium permaganate crystals (potassium permanganate) are added to a bucket of water. This solution is enough for 60-70 bushes.
- The second version of the composition: in dry summer, when, due to the heat, color is crumbling everywhere and tomatoes are not pollinated, fertilizing is carried out with a solution of water with boric acid (1 teaspoon of crystals per bucket). They also use special preparations, for example, "Ovary".
The most suitable period for foliar feeding is evening in dry weather. So the solution is more useful, as it dries longer.
You can read in more detail about the best ways of foliar feeding of tomatoes here.
Additional tips and warnings
- The less the soil is enriched in substances, the more important is the feeding.
- In the preparation of dressings, strict dosages should be adhered to.
- In cold and dry conditions, nutrients are absorbed worse, so top dressing will not be as effective.
A vegetable culture more popular among summer residents than tomatoes, perhaps, cannot be found. It is important to know what the tomato "loves" and what environment is most comfortable for him. Among the options for feeding tomatoes, there are many different opinions, but certain conditions must be observed. The variety of nutritional composition should be selected depending on the development of the plant..