We cut the area from woodlice, do not throw it away: the weed has medicinal properties. What ailments does it help against, and when is it harmful?
A weed called "wood lice" is well known to all gardeners. Sparing no effort, they are struggling with the ubiquitous plant on their site.
It is useful for gardeners to learn how to properly use the natural qualities of the herb. In our article, we will talk about the use of medium starlet (this is the scientific name of woodlice) in folk medicine: what exactly does it heal and how to prepare healing infusions, and also show a photo of the plant.
100 g of woodlice contains 114 mg of vitamin C, which is 1.5 times more than lemon. 20 g of medium starlet contains a daily dose of carotene, reaching 5 mg. Besides, the plant consists of the following:
- from vitamin E - 44 mg per 100 g of grass;
- from triterpene saponins;
- from alkaloids;
- from tannins;
- from aliphatic alcohols;
- from lipids;
- from wax.
The herb contains synapic and organic acids... It is saturated with trace elements - among them magnesium, iron and the following substances:
The herb contains flavonoids and essential oils.
Why is medium starlet useful?
- Cholagogue and diuretic action are inherent in woodlice. It has the following healing properties:
- pain relievers;
- wound healing;
- Woodlice compresses and baths relieve joint pain in arthritis, arthrosis and osteochondrosis.
- Weed juice and tea are used to treat the thyroid gland: they alleviate the symptoms of nodular and toxic goiter of the thyroid gland.
- Infusion and juice of the herb are used in folk recipes for the prevention and treatment of oncology of various localization.
- Eye drops are prepared from woodlice. They help with the following ailments:
- with initial corneal opacity;
- with glaucoma;
- with cataracts.
- Woodlice juice increases lactation, with steamed herb compresses they treat mastopathy and mastitis.
- Tampons with a decoction of woodlice will relieve the following female diseases:
- erosion of the cervix.
- Lotions with a strong herbal infusion help against skin ailments - from rashes, acne and boils.
- Warm baths with a decoction of woodlice relieve swelling of the extremities, relieve pain from rheumatism, sprains and sciatica.
- Woodlice is a remedy for scurvy.
What parts are used in traditional medicine?
Only the roots of woodlice are useless... In folk medicine, aerial parts of the plant are used: fresh shoots, flowers and juice.
When is the plant useful and when not?
Wood lice collected in ecologically clean places, far from roads and factories, are useful. Grass tends to absorb and accumulate harmful substances, including heavy metals.
Woodlice seeds are not poisonous... Collected together with the grain of various crops, they reduce the quality of cereals and flour, but the sale of the final product is permissible.
Do not forget that the weed has a laxative effect, so before treatment, be sure to consult a doctor, otherwise, instead of a positive effect, starworm will cause irreparable harm.
As you can see, medium starlet can be used with seeds; there will not be much benefit from the seeds, but they will not bring harm either.
Description of the plant
Woodlice is easy to confuse with its dangerous congeners.... In order not to be mistaken, you need to know about the signs of a medicinal plant. This is how its stems look:
- highly branching;
- up to 10 cm high;
- covered with hairs.
Wood lice leaves are ovate, shortly pointed.
Flowers resemble stars and look like this:
- with petals, deeply divided in two;
- with long stalks;
- with separate-leaved cups;
- with a 3-column pestle;
- with 5-10 dark purple stamens.
Seeds arise at the same time as flowers... Fruits are oblong capsules with 6 valves, containing brown grains 1 mm in diameter.
In the photo you can see what woodlice or starweed looks like, which has medicinal properties.
Toxic species of starworms occur... The following plants are dangerous to health:
- forest starwort;
- lanceolate stellate;
- cereal starwort;
- marsh stellate.
Poisonous stellate causes poisoning... With it, the victims have the following symptoms:
- redness and swelling of the mucous membranes - hyperemia;
- abdominal cramps;
- limb cramps;
- rapid pulse;
- weak pulse;
- rapid breathing;
- body temperature rises to 40 degrees.
Poisoning lasts up to 3 days.
When is this herb contraindicated?
Sometimes it is risky to be treated with woodlice. Contraindications concern:
- people with acute gastrointestinal diseases;
- pregnant women;
- breastfeeding children;
- allergy sufferers.
Woodlice is especially dangerous for ulcers and hypotension - chronically low blood pressure, from 90 to 60 and below.
How does the middle starlet treat?
Woodlice replenishes the lack of nutrients.
- Vitamin C restores thyroid secretion, stabilizes the production of pancreatic juice in the pancreas.
- Ascorbic acid is responsible for the synthesis of proteins:
- Collagen, the basis of connective tissue. It is responsible for the strength of the skin and joints.
- Immunoglobulins - antibodies that resist threats entering the bloodstream.
- Interferon, which makes cells immune to viruses.
- Vitamin C regulates the work of neurotransmitters that transmit signals between neurons in the brain. He is responsible for the production of:
- adrenal hormones;
- bile in the liver.
- The pigment carotene in the body becomes vitamin A. By preventing the formation of atherosclerotic plaques, it reduces the likelihood of stroke.
- Carotene and vitamin E strengthen the immune system, prevent cancer and early aging.
- Triterpene saponins increase cell permeability and have an expectorant effect.
- Alkaloids are responsible for stimulating the nervous system and act as follows:
- as a diuretic;
- as a pain reliever.
- Tannins fight inflammation and bacteria, and stop the blood. They remove heavy metals from the body.
- Trace elements are responsible for metabolism. Magnesium plays the following role:
- promotes cell regeneration;
- soothes muscles and nerves;
- helps to assimilate vitamins C, B1 and B6;
- preserves the structure and strength of bones.
- Iron is involved in the synthesis of immune cells and hemoglobin, which oxygenates tissues.
- The development of tissues depends on copper. It delivers iron to cells and participates in the synthesis of:
- Cobalt is responsible for bone growth, protects the nervous system from overwork. He participates in the synthesis:
- thyroid hormones;
- pancreatic hormones.
- Essential oils have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
Healthy vodka tincture recipe
With the help of vodka, you can preserve woodlice juice. The tincture concentrates the beneficial properties of the plant.
How to cook it - step by step instructions
For tincture, use high-quality vodka and freshly harvested grass... After washing wood lice, act as follows:
- Using a blender, 10 tablespoons of herbs are crushed into gruel.
- The raw materials are put into a glass container, 1 liter of vodka is poured.
- The vessel is tightly closed and stored in a dark and cool place. There it is stored for 7-10 days, shaking daily.
- The present mixture is filtered through several layers of gauze.
- The liquid is poured into a clean vessel.
The finished tincture is stored in a cool place.out of reach of sunlight. It can be used for up to 3 years.
How to use the medicine?
The tincture is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. To cope with gastrointestinal ailments, the medicine is drunk 1-3 times a day, stirring 20-25 drops in a glass of water.
Before resorting to traditional medicine, you should consult your doctor.
The medicine helps fight chronic gastritis and the effects of food poisoning... It affects the body as follows:
- relieves pain in the gastrointestinal tract;
- normalizes the digestive tract;
- improves appetite.
Tincture rubbing treats joints and stale bruises... The procedure is carried out 2-3 times a day, as follows:
- The towel is dipped in the medicine to rub the sore spots with it.
- The centers of pain are wrapped in a warm woolen scarf.
The bandage, made before bedtime, is changed upon waking.
How else can you use weed?
Tea is made from woodlice, it is added to dishes... The herb is steamed to make compresses and lotions. Fresh plant juice is also useful.
The grass is squeezed out by passing it through a blender or meat grinder. Then it is filtered with a sieve or gauze.
Ready juice is consumed as follows:
- 4-6 times a day;
- before eating;
- 1 teaspoon at a time;
- diluting with water and honey.
You can also drink undiluted juice - 3 times a day, 100 ml. Only fresh product is useful.
Medium stellate - seasoning and complete ingredient... It is included in the recipes for the following dishes:
- vegetable stew;
- carotene paste.
The herb is added to light vitamin salads... For the simplest, you will need the following products:
- fresh wood lice;
- green onions;
Sour cream is needed for refueling.
Prepare the dish as follows:
- Hard boiled eggs.
- The cucumbers are finely chopped.
- Cut greens and mix with cucumbers.
- The mixture is salted, sour cream is added.
When serving, the salad is garnished with boiled egg slices.
How to prepare and save?
Woodlice is harvested during the flowering period - from May to August... The aerial parts of plants are harvested, soft and succulent. A layer of raw materials up to 3-5 cm is spread on a cloth or paper to dry.
IMPORTANT Medium starfish should not be dried at temperatures above 40 degrees. Otherwise, the herb will lose its healing properties.
The plant is dried in a clean and dry place... A suitable space should be:
- inaccessible to direct sunlight.
After drying the grass, it is crushed and packed. The workpiece can be stored for up to a year.
When allergic to woodlice, people experience itching and redness of the skin.... The plant can lower blood pressure. The herb enhances gastrointestinal secretion.
Woodlice is useful if properly prepared and applied.
The plant is not a panacea, but it will help to overcome vitamin deficiency and improve the results of the complex treatment prescribed by the doctor. ,
See in more detail what useful properties wood lice have in the video below: