Broccoli cabbage, known since the times of Ancient Rome, has spread in Russia relatively recently. Despite the fact that it is the closest relative of the cauliflower, which is very popular in our country, many still treat it with suspicion. And this is a big mistake, because it is broccoli that is considered the most useful of all types of cabbage.
We will tell you how this vegetable is useful for the human body in general, for the health of women in particular. You will also find out how many calories are in broccoli and what valuable substances it contains for health.
Composition and calorie content
Broccoli is a real storehouse of vitamins and minerals, in its composition, it can be compared with good multivitamins, but at the same time it is a natural product. It will also be a true find for those who are used to counting the calorie content of food. How many calories are in cabbage? 100 grams of this cabbage contains only 34 kcal. At the same time, such a portion accounts for 2.82 g of protein, only 0.37 g of fat and 6.64 g of carbohydrates.
Unlike calories, it contains a lot of vitamins.
- In terms of the amount of vitamin C, broccoli significantly surpasses such recognized leaders as lemon and orange.
- There is vitamin U, which is necessary for the healing of ulcers and erosions.
- Vitamin PP, which is involved in redox processes in the body and promotes tissue growth.
- In addition, broccoli contains B vitamins, in particular folic acid, thiamine and riboflavin, as well as vitamins A, K, E.
It is also worth noting such micro and macro elements as magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, each of which plays a role in the proper functioning of the human body.
Useful properties for the human body
The medicinal properties of this vegetable:
- Prevention and control of cancerous tumors... Modern research has proven that this cabbage can help fight certain types of cancers such as breast, ovarian, and skin cancers. Sulforaphane stops the development of cancer cells, while synergine and indole-3-carbinol destroy them and strengthen the immune system.
- Reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes... Regular consumption of this vegetable has a beneficial effect on the work of the heart, as well as on the condition of the walls of blood vessels, allowing you to prevent diseases such as heart attack, stroke, arthritis or atherosclerosis. Choline (vitamin B4) and methionine, which are part of broccoli, are involved in the elimination of cholesterol from the body, the excess of which leads to problems with the cardiovascular system.
- Improves the functioning of the digestive tract... The high fiber content allows you to normalize digestive processes, improve bowel function and solve the problem of constipation, including chronic ones. By stimulating the secretion of bile, broccoli helps to improve the condition of the liver and gallbladder. In addition, it promotes the elimination of dead cells, toxins and even heavy metal ions from the body.
- Helps in recovery from illness... Broccoli contains substances that accelerate the process of cell and tissue regeneration, helping the body to recover faster. Phytoncides increase general immunity and prevent the growth of harmful microorganisms.
- Normalizes blood sugar... Many experts recommend including this vegetable in the diet of people with diabetes because it contains sulforaphane, which can lower glucose levels and regulate insulin production.
- Improves the functioning of the nervous system due to the presence of vitamin B1... People with nervous disorders, poor memory, frequent stress should often include this plant in their diet, since it is rich in thiamine, which is very important for brain function.
- Has a positive effect on vision... Carotenoids, which are almost as abundant here as in pumpkins and carrots, help prevent cataracts by strengthening the retina and lens.
- Body care... What is it useful for the body of women? It is worth paying special attention to this product also because it perfectly helps to reduce weight and get rid of cellulite. The elements included in its composition help cleanse the intestines from toxins, regulate metabolic processes in the body.
A high amount of fiber gives a long-lasting feeling of fullness with a small amount of food eaten.
Reduction of the "orange peel" occurs due to the fact that excess fluid is quickly and safely excreted from the body, as a result of which the skin becomes smooth and taut.
- Preventing Prostatitis and Prostate Cancer... The vegetable contains enzymes that not only have a beneficial effect on potency and men's health, but also help prevent the development of severe prostate diseases.
An absolute contraindication to the use of broccoli can only be an allergy to this plant. Fortunately, it is extremely rare. Otherwise, almost everyone can eat it in one form or another. Restrictions relate mainly to the form of use.
- Do not use broccoli for making broths, because a decoction from it contains substances that are harmful to the body (adenine and guanine). This cabbage should also be added to soups at the end, when the soup is ready.
- It is worth remembering that with prolonged frying, especially in a large amount of oil, cabbage will not only lose all its beneficial properties, but also form carcinogens.
- The use of raw cabbage is contraindicated for people with high acidity of the stomach and those who have pancreatic diseases.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
For pregnant women, this product is indispensable for a number of reasons:
- Low calorie content and high nutritional value help control weight gain.
- The high content of vitamin C boosts immunity.
- Folic acid is essential for the development of the fetal nervous system.
- Calcium is essential for both the health of the expectant mother and the baby.
- Lowering blood sugar levels is important for pregnant women diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
Broccoli is a hypoallergenic product, which has a minimum of contraindications, so it is one of the first to be allowed to be included in the diet of a nursing mother, after 4-5 weeks of birth, you can gradually add it to the menu when breastfeeding. Most children respond well to the introduction of this vegetable, first in the mother's diet, and then, from 6-7 months, and as complementary foods.
Can I eat it with pancreatitis?
During an exacerbation of pancreatitis, this type of cabbage can be consumed in the form of mashed soups, mashed potatoes, steamed stews (you can find out about the rules for cooking broccoli dishes here). Doctors recommend taking it slowly and only if it is well tolerated and does not cause bloating, flatulence, or other digestive problems. At the first time after entering, you need to be especially careful and stop using when the first symptoms appear.
In the phase of remission, there are no restrictions on use.
The maximum daily portion of broccoli in all phases of the disease should not exceed 200 g.
To summarize, it remains only to repeat that broccoli is a very healthy vegetable that must be present in the diet. How do you prepare it to get the most out of it? The most correct way is steaming or short-term cooking, since many useful properties are lost during prolonged heat treatment. This vegetable can be served as a separate dish, as a side dish, and as part of vegetable stews or casseroles.